Saturday, May 11, 2013

Melbourne Haul Part Two

So here is part Two of my recent haulage from Melbourne. Quite a few awesome numbers and a few must-have atrocities in this bunch.....case in Point..


GURU JOSH- Infinity (1990s Time for the Guru)
I'm listening to this as I type. It brings back so many atrocious memories. It's so weird that this song was a number one hit. Its like history is saying Really?  a skinny be-goateed little shit wrote the tune that ushered in the last decade of the millenium.  I'm impressed with Guru Josh's social acumen though in what seems a particularly ballsy move; in the absence of any real zeitgeist (or anyone who is yet to appreciate the term) why not create your own.
Hmmmm Well played guru, well played.

Anyway and onto the real stuff...

LOUIS AND BEBE BARRON- Forbidden Planet OST

This record is a beautiful purchase. I love this soundtrack. The first all electronic soundtrack to a film ever. Recorded by Louis and Bebe Barron who are arguably  the godparents of Electronic music. I've long been fascinated by them as I'm also  a long time admirer of uber creative power couples, and these guys fit the bill to a tee. John and Yoko? Fuck that! Give me Louis and Bebe anyday. Besides just look at these photos and tell me you wouldn't give your right arm to be  fly on the wall in this studio, even if just for a week.


Also, to keep the John  and Yoko comparison goinn for a moment, you can keep your "bed-ins" and your "holding hands naked crap" , these  are the most romantic photos  EVER!!

I'm also stoked because i just realised this was a 2012 Record Store Day Only reissue, (on the Revola/Poppydisc label) one of only 500 made. On beautiful green vinyl too. I opened it and put it on just now, first time, and the unveiling was so cool.  First the lovely label print.
.....and then the sliding out of the disc to reveal the green vinyl. I had no idea. Like a little reveal of nested surprises. Just awesome.




BAUHAUS- Bela Lugosi's Dead


A  goth classic. I remember this track from my youth. I just remember it was Daaaarrrrrrkkk and  diiiffferrent.  Two things that pretty much sold me on any recording back when I was 16 when I first heard it over (gulp) 24 years ago.
The song was recorded and released in 1979 and is considered one of the first goth rock songs ever recorded and for that alone it has great historical value in my collection.  Having given it a good listen, the song is really quite awesome. It comes off as being very minimal but its quite a layered composition. The beautiful drumming and that muted dub style guitar, and the little filigrees of distortion
and echo that come off from the main "bed"  of the song. Plus check out these primo goth lyrics;

White on white translucent black capes
Back on the rack
Bela Lugosi's dead
The bats have left the bell tower
The victims have been bled
Red velvet lines the black box
Bela Lugosi's dead
Undead undead undead
The virginal brides file past his tomb
Strewn with time's dead flowers
Bereft in deathly bloom
Alone in a darkened room
The count
Bela Logosi's dead
Undead undead undead



A million teenage emo's could not come up with anything better even if they were cutting themselves, mainlining despair  and shitting out bats all at the same time.

THE JUNGLE BOOK-Mike Sammes Singers and Geoff Love and his Orchestra and various

I bought this album for my son. He has profound hearing loss and has just received his binaural cochlear implants. He has just had them turned on and I keep wanting to find him little albums and things he might like to enjoy listening to now that he  has hearing and also as he gets older. This album, although its not original recordings fro the movie does have music by Geoff Love and his Orchestra. I own few other Geoff Love Albums and he seems to be quite the fixture amongst session musos of the 50s, 60s and 70s.

ELVIRA Presents HAUNTED HITS-Various

Finding this record made my day!!

Such a wonderful piece of Horror fandom/ trash ephemera. It has a whole buch of horror themed classics and new gear on it such as the Monster Mash, Flying  Purple People Eater, The Blob, (which I was thrilled to find was written by Hal David and Burt Bacharach), the Addams Family them  but also more out there new wave and post punk gear like Oingo Boingo and the Tubes.

Also it came with an astounding poster.....

Hubbada hubbada!

this is great find and I'm so happy I own this.

Until next time

 see you around folks

PNRG

No comments:

Post a Comment